Monday, December 2, 2013

ΣΚ in BA

A few weeks before I left, some of my friends from school came to Buenos Aires with their Semester at Sea program. The first day they arrived, I met up with them between my classes at a park near my program building and their port. It was so nice getting to see Elon people since there aren't any in my program!

They stayed for 5 days and did a lot of touristy things around the city. We planned on getting dinner then going out their last night in the city. I told Hannah, Emily, Georgia and Erin to meet Chloe, Sam and I at Guido's which is an awesome Italian restaurant. I googled it quickly to email the address to Emily because they have very limited communication. They can only really use email on the boat and Wifi when they find it around the city.

I figured out the buses to take and went on my way. As I was waiting for the 118, Chloe texted me on my Argentine phone asking the address. Oh, Chloe, I thought. She is never prepared! So I sent her the address. She called me a minute later right when I got on the bus saying that's definitely not the address. I LOOKED UP AND TOLD MY OTHER FRIENDS THE WRONG GUIDO'S! I had no idea of the directions or where this place was and I couldn't even contact my Elon friends to tell them it was the wrong restaurant!

So I asked the bus driver and he said just to get off at the next stop and walk a few blocks toward Libertador. Damn it. So I did. I stopped at 3 kioskos (two of which gave me wrong directions) but 10 blocks or so later I found the restaurant! Chloe and Sam were sitting down and I quick grabbed Sam's iPhone (because I forgot my Droid) logged onto the wifi and messaged Emily to tell her the right address, praying she had wifi.

Right after I sent her the message, there they were! They went to the other Guido's, which was more of a cafe/bar type place and they said they didn't have any reservations. The bar told them that this Guido's (luckily only a few blocks away) had reservations and this was probably the place. So they came to the real Guido's and asked for a reservation for "Shelly" but there wasn't one (Sam actually made the reservation). So they walked back to the wrong Guido's and the workers started getting mad reassuring them that it was the wrong place. Then they came back to the right Guido's and the host figured that there was only one other group of Americans so it was probably what they were looking for. We were lucky!

So we had awesome pasta and wine and headed to my friend Dieuwke's apartment for a pregame. Ale and Juan Pablo showed up as well! The girls were super exhausted from all of their traveling so they decided to go home when we headed out for the boliche.

How fun it was to have them in my wonderful city! They're now traveling around Brazil then Cuba!

No comments:

Post a Comment