Friday, October 11, 2013

Long weekend in Mendoza

After class on Thursday I rushed home to pick up Mommom, called a cab and we headed to the Retiro bus terminal.

It was a really nice bus. We got cama (bed) seats which were AR$560 per ticket. About US$160 round trip. That included a cold and hot dinner, breakfast and drinks (including wine!).

Christina was on an earlier bus but Sam and Sheridan got the two seats behind me and Mommom. It really wasn't a bad ride because the seats were so comfy I honestly slept most of the 14-hour trip.

We got to Mendoza at around 10am and got taxis to our hostel... This was probably the crappiest hostel I've stayed in... And I've stayed in over 10 different hostels so far. It was called Hostel Mendoza Lodging or something like that.

It was dirty and everything was broken like the shower head and the beds. Luckily we were changing to a good hostel tomorrow (Hostel Independencia).

We walked down Av. San Martín into different shops and cafes. We had lunch at this outdoor cafe and got burgers.. They were huge! After we sat there for a while with our half eaten burgers, a dirty woman came up to us who was trying to sell us stickers earlier in our meal asking if she could take our extra food for her and her sister... Sure! We're done with them. We even gave her a bag from a pharmacy I got bug itch creme from.

Her hands were so dirty and she had some spit on the sides of her mouth but what was it to us to say she couldn't eat what would be thrown away anyway. Then she went around to other tables and asked the same thing.

I am so fortunate.

Mommom was really having a tough time walking. She has really gotten worse than I remember her being. I don't think she knew how bad her breathing, knees and hips were until this trip cause she hadn't walked that far in years.

The girls had a reservation for sunset horseback riding and an asado but obviously Mommom couldn't do that so I just stayed in our hostel with her and watched Prison Break. It's ok, I went horseback riding in Colonia, Uruguay.

I really wish I could have gone though. At around 12:30am the girls come back and Christina got sick from too much wine... That's my kind of asado! They told me how much fun they had and how they all galloped so much, even Christina who has never ridden a horse in her life! Jealous! Oh well. It was AR$400 I didn't have to spend. And honestly it was money I didn't even have! I brought less money than I thought so I have to really keep an eye on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment