Thursday, October 31, 2013

Tango tango

So with my extensive dance experience (lolz not really) I obviously signed up for  tango night with IES.

A bunch of chicas meet at IES and we went to Milonga en La Catedral del Tango. A milonga has a few different meanings:

1. It's a type of tango music
2. It's a type of tango dance
3. It's a tango dance party

My favorite definition, though, is tango dance party. Obviously!

Milongas originated in Buenos Aires.

During a milonga, three to five songs are played in a row followed by a short musical break to give dancers a chance to find new partners. Dancers who attend milongas are called milongueros or milongueras.

The term milonga also refers to a distinct style of tango. Milonga is a faster-paced and less complex form of tango. Milonga can also refer to a musical genre.

We took a bus there from IES to the Milonga in Villa Crespo and automatically went to the bar and got a few bottles of wine :) We needed to loosen up before our tango class!

In our class there were a lots of people on the dance floor of a dimly lot club and we learned simple, fundamental steps while rotating partners every few minutes.

It was so hard for me to allow my partners to lead 100% because in my dance experience I'm in total control of my body. But in tango, you have to let your body go and have your partner put it where it needs to go.

I danced with tons of partners from experienced to beginners, Brazilians to porteños, old to young, creepy pony trail to suave cuts. I was enjoying the diversity.

After the class you were able to dance around, changing partners during the breaks like I said above.

I had a great time but my back started hurting after a while from keeping the posture. It's very similar to ballet posture which made it not as bad because I was used to it.

I have to say, though, I definitely mastered the 8 step plus some... click here to check it out!

The IES group left but a handful of us stayed a bit longer to drink wine and dance. We all had such a great time and I can't wait to take more classes. Maybe samba next? Who knows :)

PS. The old people were freaking adorable. My husband better be down for some tango when we're 70.

No comments:

Post a Comment