Friday, September 6, 2013

Productive day at Uplifted!

I didn't go out last night THEREFORE I made myself be productive today.

Don't ask me why I didn't go out... I'm just a weenie I guess.

I got up this morning for a 9:30am run around Recoleta. It was awesome weather!! Absolutely perfect! The sun was shining and I knew it was going to be a good day in Buenos Aires.

I Google Mapped the route I run and it calculated my run to be just over 5 miles! Go me! I think I'm gonna stick to that.

And I calculated the loop around the Rose Garden in Palermo and that's about 1 mile around. Easy enough to add up how many laps I gotta do!

I got home from running and my doorman stopped me to tell me that him and a group of people go running every Tuesday and Thursday night at 7pm. I think they go up to Palermo and run around there. They're training for a run that's about 50 blocks long.

So IDK, I'll think about it. I kinda just like relaxing running by myself or with an amiga :)

I showered and headed over to Palermo for Uplifted. Got there a little late (oops) but got straight to work!

First I wrote a blog post for HEAR CONGO about a volunteer program that helps women with sexual and reproductive health in Democratic Republic of the Congo. Wanna go to DRC and volunteer? I'm not sure if I'd exactly recommend it but if that's what you're passionate about--it's at your disposal.

Nora, my supervisor was impressed on how fast I researched and wrote the blog (go me).

Then she had me research some interesting topics to post on Uplifted's Facebook page. <--go like it!

 Now this was pretty interesting.

I recently found the app Flipboard... and it is AMAZING!! It's basically a personal magazine/newspaper and it only shows you stories or posts you want to see!

So I just looked up posts about marketing, PR, startups, SEO, leadership, new technology or findings, etc. and it was SO easy to create 15 Facebook posts.

I asked Nora to email the head of Internships for the School of Communications at Elon to try to convince her that this internship should count for my required internship credits. Apparently I was supposed to preregister any internship while I'm at Elon because they don't accept anything online.

What?

How on earth was I supposed to preregister for an internship in BA back in May when I wasn't even enrolled in the internship seminar class here until August?? Come on, Nagatha. Let's make my life a little more difficult, shall we?

So I've been looking into other internships (for January/December) that I found from the Elon School of Communications database last semester. I looked for internships for Comcast Corp. but I didn't see any so I emailed the reference and asked him if there were any available. He seemed very nice and said he'd check for me.

Honestly, it would suck if I had to miss Winter Term at Elon right after missing Fall semester. I could always just shoot to get an internship next summer but if I can't find one, I'd be screwed. Better be safe than sorry I guess.

I just gotta MAKE myself apply for these, it's such an annoying process though.

On another note-- I found my go-to packed lunch!

Rice cake, peanut butter, strawberry jam and cut up banana on top. It's SOO yummy! And quite filling when you have two or three of them.

I also have a yogurt and an apple--pretty good lunch :) Especially with no access to a kitchen.

Back when I couldn't understand what mi mama was saying, I asked her if I could use the kitchen... and obviously I didn't understand the answer. So now I'm super awkward and don't want to ask again. I remember her saying that none of her previous 11 students ever used the stove/oven so I guess the answer is no.

I also asked her if I could use the coffee maker if I used my own coffee... that was a definite no. She was saying that it's using a lot of electricity and whatnot... OK lady, if you're that desperate for money then you wouldn't be living in a nice apartment in one of the most affluent areas of Buenos Aires.

She did make the point, though that I am paying IES in USD while IES is paying her in Argentine pesos. Honestly, I wouldn't want to be paid with Argentine pesos either because their economy is so crazy. Inflation has gone up since I got here.

When I got here, the blue market was about AR$8 to US$1. Now I've heard it's AR$9.7 to US$1!

People can't save in Argentine pesos because one year the money under your mattress equals $100, the next year it'll equal $50 because of inflation. Everyone wants the US dollar to save here because it's so stable.

Again, I'm glad to be an American.

Today was a great day!

Don't forget to check out my original blog!!

Chau chicos!!

No comments:

Post a Comment