Monday, September 2, 2013

Recoleta Fair Afternoon

Saturday was basically a day with Christina- a girl that lives a few blocks from me on my program.

We took a bus to the rose garden in Palermo to go for a run and it was BEAUTIFUL!! We did a nice jog around the whole park a couple times then hung out in the grass for a bit to chat (doing abs, squats, and stretching as well). It was actually the BEST weather ever.

We were so high on life.

We ran home and met up a bit later to go to the Recoleta fair that's right next to the cemetery. I got myself a super cool mug from this stand.


And here's a nickel ring!! Argentines do love those gringos.  I apologize for my ugly nails- didn't bring any nail polish with me.



 After we walked though the fair we found a nice spot under a palm tree to do homework. Palm tree in Buenos Aires? Yeah, not too native. But it was marvelous.

I was sitting in the sun with Christina listening to people chatting, performers performing and the drumming of an acrobatic show down the way. I was looking at the law building and the beautiful, colorful bridge that crosses over a big road.

I felt like I was in paradise. For homework, I was reading a book called Planet of Slums. How could I have only been about 20 blocks away from slums and you don't see a trace?

There were dogs running and playing without their leashes (like always) and rollerbladers passing by. People were walking around with liter beers- so casual.


It was a great morning/afternoon.

That night I met the girls at Sheridan and Chloe's apartment in Retiro to go out. We were going to a Porteno friend's show at Moon Bar on Juncal. We were a bit early so we went to a china to grab some snacks- it was gonna be late before we ate.

We went back to the show and they were playing the most typical American songs: Coldplay, Taylor Swift, Robin Thicke... they really do love gringos.

Then we went out to dinner... to Wendy's... I was not happy or satisfied. And fast food is freaking expensive here!

Didn't realize til after I got my salad I was splitting with Sheridan that there was a whole food court with tons of options.. oh well.

We hung out at the food court for a while- so boring. We were losing steam fast.

We finally left, Sam was getting some with Juan Pablo at a local house party.

Christina and Jessie wanted to go out to the Alamo but everyone else was tired and wanted to go home. I wasn't too hard to talk into going out though :)

Alamo was SO FUN!! Only $50 peso charge at the door (which came with two drinks) and I got super drunk somehow! People just kept giving me drinks.

I tried fernet and coke for the first time... was not impressed. Fernet is the Argentine liquor and it has such a distinctive taste. It's almost licorice-y. It was a little tough to finish a glass but I did!

I met some Brazilian girls and porteno guys who were so friendly!! I taught them how to play flip cup and slap cup... again... they love their gringos.

Awesome night with some awesome people- can't get much better.




No comments:

Post a Comment