Saturday, August 10, 2013

It Gets Better

Two weeks in Buenos Aires. Finally I feel comfortable.

To all of my study abroad friends: unless you are a traveling chameleon that adapts to any environment in a nanosecond, the first week is going to be difficult; especially the first few days. Most likely you will feel homesick and uncomfortable. IT GET'S BETTER! You will learn how to live with your host family and learn to appreciate where you are. Most people in the world will never have the opportunity you have. There are so many people who will never get the chance to study at a university, let alone study abroad!

I've met so many amazing people on this trip already and I'm so grateful to have them. We're even planning a trip to Uruguay for next weekend!

You get used to the changes. For a semester you have to carry around a crappy, non-color brick of a pre-paid phone because it's the cheapest. For a semester you have to learn to keep your hand bag in front of you and try to not look like a tourist as much as possible so you don't get robbed (which is harder than you might think). You have to learn how to keep yourself occupied; especially if you are living with no other students and classes haven't started yet. You have to learn how to read a map and ask for directions because your new city is so confusing you can't even pronounce the street names. You have to learn to appreciate your temporary home as well as the home you left behind.

I can now say I am genuinely happy in my current home of Buenos Aires, Argentina. That's not to say I don't still enjoy a text from my mom, a snapchat from my best friend, or a skype sesh with my boyfriend every so often :) So keep 'em coming!

I've been thinking of something to fully symbolize my developing feelings. Now Mom and Julia, don't freak out, but I think a tattoo of a dream catcher with a compass in the center would be really cool. Most likely I won't get it-but it's something to think about. For me, it symbolizes guidance and hope as well as my passion and dreams for traveling. I've had a dream catcher hanging over my bed at home for as long as I can remember. It's always been the last thing I look at before I go to bed. It's comforting and gives me a sense of invincibility. Nothing can truly hurt me as long as I don't let it. I can always overcome difficult experiences with time, effort and a bit of help from my loved ones.

I don't know. Just a thought.

However, it is one hour later here so I must away.

Until next time, chau. 

No comments:

Post a Comment