Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Montevideo, Uruguay

We arrived in Montevideo pretty late on Saturday night. We got a taxi to our hostel in Ciudad Vieja. The other group had a slightly earlier bus and the Duke kids were already there so they were all there hanging out when we arrived.

We relaxed in the common room and played Kings with some German students studying in BA.

After a bit of pregaming we all headed out to Montevideo shopping area for the bars. Mindee and I went straight to Jameson because they said they'd open the kitchen for us... oops- I thought we were supposed to eat at 12:30am.

We had strawberry daiquiris and mojitos. My daiquiri tasted like a smoothie so I asked for mas fuerte (more strong)... by the time Rodrigo (one of the bartenders) was done with it it was mas mas mas fuerte!

Finally everyone else that was at the bar next door (21) came to Jameson. It was awesome hanging out with everyone. A few people bought a round of shots and pitchers.

Sam and I got tequila sunrises and (apparently) we shared a pina colada... don't exactly remember the pina colada. And what's better? Rodrigo said they were free!! Hell yeah love being una chica!!!

Everyone left for the boliche (club) called Lotus but Sam and I stayed to enjoy our free drinks. But when we left we told Rodrigo to meet us there because Jameson was closing (it was around 4am).

We walked to Lotus danced a bit and took a cab home with Sam and Scott.

I walked into my room- pitch black cause everyone was already sleeping since it was about 5:30am and I realized I didn't make my bed yet! It was so difficult, I had to get Matt (who was sleeping in the bunk above me) to give me a light from his phone.

Next day I woke up at 10:30.. breakfast ended at 10 :( boo! It's OK cause I had no hangover!

I realized the day before that I accidently bought a ferry ticket home that was for 4:30am the next morning. Hell no was that gonna fly. So Sheridan, Matt, Scott and I took a cab to the bus terminal to exchange my ticket and for them to exchange money.

It's so weird, in BA I can walk out of my door and flag down a taxi but in Montevideo (the capital of Uruguay) there aren't any taxis anywhere! After walking a few blocks we had to go into a hotel for them to call us one.

The ferry everyone else was on (7:30pm on Monday) was full so I had to exchange mine with the 10:45am one. Better than 4:30am... I also bought my Buquebus bus ticket.

A bit later Mindee, Carla, Sam and Kris came to exchange money and pick up their Xoom money. Carla, with her terrible luck this weekend, had trouble with Xoom and was freaking out. All was resolved, though, after a while.

There was a market/fair going on not too far away so Matt, Scott and I walked over to look at things. We got churripan and oranges from the fruteria!! Scott got a mate. Matt got La Boca socks. It was a great market- they even had puppies!

We met up with Sheridan and Sam and walked to the beach. We basically haven't seen many people in Montevideo except for the market... well now we know why. They were all at the beach!! It was so beautiful. It kind of reminded me of SoCal.


It was so warm as well. We took off our shoes, rolled up our pants and just relaxed in the cool sand.

There was a carnival going on next to the beach as well with rides and freshly made churros! The line was super long so we didn't get any.

Sunset was soon so we decided to find a prime viewing spot. There was a really really really really really steep hill on the other side of the bay with people on it so we headed that way.

Literally this hill was so steep. Sheridan and I were struggling to climb it. It was actually kinda scary at parts cause you had to grab onto the no so sturdy grass to climb up it. I really needed some climbing shoes but unfortunately I only had my fake Sperry's. Sheridan had her heeled boots!! Didn't work too well so she took them off.

When we finally go to the top we could see all of Montevideo and the beaches. It was gorgeous!





We also all took turns sliding down the hill on jackets, cardboard, anything we could find! I was only the photographer, unfortunately, cause I had light color jeans and was not about to ruin a pair of pants on this trip. Clothes are precious when you didn't pack your whole closet!

Climbing down the hill wasn't as bad as climbing up. We searched a bit for a place to eat then decided to take a taxi (which, remember, is kinda tough to find one to flag down in this city) to the area we were the night before cause we knew there was tons of stuff there.

Unfortunately because it was Sunday, either places weren't open or they wouldn't open until 8. Luckily Jameson was open! Damnit... Sam and I completely embarrassed ourselves there the night before but we were just so hungry! Oh well- Rodrigo here we are!

We got drinks (daiquiris, mojitos, margaritas, beer, etc.) then food. We split nachos, Sam and I split a Japanese burger which had teriyaki sauce on it and chicken quesadillas.

We also split some with Sheridan's house burger which had fried egg and ham on it! It was so good! Matt and Scott had taco/burrito type things.

Total my bill was like $450... big spenders huh? Not really, it was in Uruguayan pesos. It was really like $20USD. That's pretty awesome for a daiquiri, nachos, half a burger, chicken quesadilla, tip, and a service fee. It's weird here, a bunch of restaurants have a service fee for the bread or number of glasses you use at a bar. WTF man! Not cool!

Sam was totally eyeing Rodrigo all during dinner and we finally talked to him as we were leaving. Apparently he told us to wait for him outside the bar last night to go to Lotus... oops... our bad... lost in drunk translation I guess.

So we said our goodbye's cause we were heading back to BA the next day. He shook our hands... no one shakes hands here. I wanted a big kiss on the cheek like normal! Oh well. See ya Uruguay!

We took a bus back to the hostel and everyone was prepared for a chill night. Everyone was exhausted from their Uruguayan weekend. We played a bit of kings and just relaxed.

My bus for Colonia was for 7:30 so I had to wake up early the next day, unlike everyone else. Traveling alone sucks.

ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING WITH THE GROUP YOU'RE TRAVELING WITH! I learned that the hard way.

So I made some tea and went to bed around 2am. Got up the next day around 5:30am, the hostel front desk man made me coffee and gave me toast and cereal which was super nice of him since breakfast wasn't supposed to be served til 8am.

I got all my stuff together (in the dark since 5 other people were sleeping in my room), had the hostel man call me a cab, and I headed off to the bus terminal to head home!

After my bus ride and ferry (I got the 1 hour ferry on the way home), I took a taxi and bus back to my apartment.

It was strange, when I arrived back in BA, I actually felt relieved. I felt a sense of home when I returned. I loved the feeling. It shows I'm actually feeling comfortable in this city and I'm happy with everything.

I finally got home around 12:30pm. I Skyped my mom, Julia and Steve, posted pictures on Facebook and did a bit of homework. I need constant stimulation when I'm in the apartment or else I get super lonely :( So if you ever wanna chat while I'm here I'd love to catch up!

Well- that was my first weekend trip! I have to say it was a success! Can't wait for the next one!

Chau chicos!

No comments:

Post a Comment