Friday, August 30, 2013

PR girl in BA

I had my first full week at Uplifted! 

I take the bus into Palermo (down Cordoba Ave.). 

The office is great! I think it was the second floor of an old duplex. The accounting team has their room and the marketing team (us) has their room.

There's no heating or air conditioning but it was so beautiful this week that we had all the windows open! last week, tough, it was so cold! We had to use space heaters!

There's a kitchen with endless amounts of tea and coffee. The founder, apparently, is obsessed with tea which is right up my alley! 

So when I get into the office, the full time intern, Lance, is usually already there. I have a daily to-do list from Nora, who is the manager (I guess). She seems like the person in charge of the marketing department. 

The last week of every month is our "batch week" where we create all the tweets, Facebook posts, and blog ideas to schedule out for the following month. 

So far, I've written Video tip tweets for one of our clients, Revolution Productions. One of the things the company does is it makes videos for other companies. 

I also wrote tweets for another one of our clients, Hear Congo which helps women and children in the DRC. I also created some blog ideas for their website. I'll probably write the blogs next week. 

Nora also brings her puppy into the office a lot. His name is Dante (Antonio) and he's a cute little mutt. A SPCA-like organization just gives puppies out for at parks-no background check needed.

There are so many strays in this city! And they're all so nice. They'll just follow you down the street like you're it's owner. 

Dante is a cute puppy but can definitely be a distraction to us and especially to Nora- it's so worth it though. He beings something special to the office :)

The people I work with are awesome. It's an American company with mostly American workers. Running a company in Buenos Aires is a lot cheaper than in the States. But it's an American company because it's very hard to register a new company in Argentina. The government changes the rules so much that it makes it impossible.

Nora is from the States and worked at a few PR agencies in DC after graduation. She lived with a bunch of girls (that I think she went to college with) and it was basically college but instead of classes, they all went to work. 

She said after a few months, it got very old. She hated her job and she wanted something different. So she got a job in Rwanda with a nonprofit and just left! It was against all of her friends and family's wishes but she just went. 

To me, that's freaking awesome. I wish I was that brave. So she worked there for a bit, I think went back to the states, then got this job in Buenos Aires. 

Now she's been here for a couple years and loves it. She has a boyfriend, an apartment, a dog, another language under her belt, everything!

Katie, on the other hand, came to BA for love. She studied abroad in Mexico and met an Argentine man on her program. They started dating, he came to the states for a few months, she went to BA for a few months--then she just stayed here! This was also against her family's wishes but she was brave enough to do it!

Lance also needed a change. He got his MBA at Drake University in Iowa. He's lived in Iowa his entire life and, like Nora, just needed a change. So he found this full time internship position on craig's list, bought a ticket to BA and just came! He's heading back to the states in a few weeks though. I honestly don't know how he spent all this time at a job that doesn't pay him. But again, he's braver than I'd ever be. 

Working with these guys really opens my eyes to what a person really needs in the world- to do things for themselves. Like Vimi from the Uruguayan hostel, she got bored of her job and decided to travel for almost a year by herself all over South America. 

I wonder where I'm going to be in 7 years. I'll be 27, graduated from college and maybe graduate school and working at a job that I may or may not enjoy. Will I be happy? I don't know. But if I'm not, will I be brave enough to change my situation? Maybe work for a nonprofit in Rwanda if that's what I really feel passionate about doing. I'm not sure- but I hope so. 

Here's an awesome quote I tweeted on behalf of Hear Congo:

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt
 

No comments:

Post a Comment